Councillor Sonya Stapleton is an Independents4change Councillor on Dublin City Council. Sonya was elected at the last local elections in 2014. She has lived in the York Street/Cuffe Street area for the past 25 years. Her family and childhood roots are from Ringsend and Bath Avenue. Before becoming elected she attended Trinity College and worked as a community employment supervisor in the area while raising her now 15 year-old son.
A record that speaks for itself…
Sonya Stapleton has played a leading role in campaigning with local communities;
- Successfully bringing improvements to the area with new playgrounds and environmental projects.
- Campaigning for secure, affordable housing for all.
- Defending workers’ rights.
- Campaigning against cuts which affect the most vulnerable.
- Stood with local communities against Water Charges.
Sonya has been a strong independent voice on your behalf for;
- Public Housing and Strict Rent Controls: Sonya stands for using public zoned land for public cost-rental and genuinely affordable housing. Over 30 housing groups now support this approach as it would end the housing crisis.
- Right2Water: Sonya actively mobilised people against the introduction of water charges and the plans to privatise water services for profit.
- Clean Air: Sonya was to the fore in campaigning against the hazardous Ringsend incinerator.
- Jobs and Training for Locals: Sonya has been fighting for jobs for local people. We have many private construction sites building hotels, student accommodation, and office blocks in our city. Our local unemployed should be supported and given training and employment on these sites. Cllr Sonya Stapleton is negotiating with builders and the council to bring together a database of companies that will employ a percentage of local people for construction work.
- Property Tax: Cllr Sonya Stapleton voted for a reduction in the property tax. This unjust tax falls heaviest on those that are struggling with all their other bills. Sonya believes it should be scrapped and replaced with a proper Wealth Tax.